Wednesday, March 03, 2010

On Being Texlaxed

9:16a

In May of 2009, I decided that I was tired of flat, limp, bone straight relaxed hair. I did some research and decided that I wanted to texlax my hair. I don't remember the exact date of my relaxer before my first texlax, but my first texlax was on July 18, 2009. I didn't see much difference that time as only my roots were texlaxed.

Over the next 6 months I did a two 10 week stretches and a 14 week stretch. I am in the midst of a 14 week stretch now (my next texlax will be March 31, 2010). This has been my hardest strech so far. My roots aren't the issue, but the detangling has become a major job. When I was bone straight, I didn't have to detangle at all. This is all new to me.

The thing that makes me the most happy is that my hair is much thicker and alot healthier as my strands aren't relaxed within an inch of their life. I have to change my thinking though. I'm used to being able to wash, detangle, and dry all in an hour. I haven't been leaving enough time for myself to do all those things and be gentle with my hair. As a result I have experienced some damage from me just being careless and in a rush. Lesson learned.

My hair does better when I just leave it alone, but having found boards like LHFC, I haven't been content to leave my hair alone. I've tried all types of things that didn't benefit me and may have even set me back. I've gone from long to short to even shorter. Lesson learned again.

Being texlaxed takes more work being that I am dealing with a texture that is curlier than the hair that I was used to having for 25 years. I realized that the moisture/protein balance is crucial for texlaxed hair and that coconut oil is a life saver! Another great lesson learned.

Last night was wash night and I loved seeing my texture. It excites me to see that my hair is growing and is so much healthier than where I started from. It may not be easy but it really is worth it.



Close up picture of my texlaxed hair
Another shot of my texture - my ends are still relaxed bone straight
A happy surprise. I found a several spiral curls at the back of my head where I have virtually no more relaxed ends
Another shot of the curls!

1 comment:

Renise B said...

Look at all that pretty hair! Wow, I can't believe we are coming up on a year! Lol @ the monistat. I remember the headaches that induced! The spirals are awesome. I can't wait to see how you hair curls after you chop off the heavy permed ends. And I'm so looking forward to your first w-n-g!

Follow on Bloglovin