Thursday, May 21, 2009

What in the world is a texlax?

9:42a

I had never heard of texlaxing until my best friend, in her research, stumbled upon it and passed the info on to me.

Texlaxing is basically under processing your hair while doing a chemical treatment {aka: perm or relaxer}.

What's the point? Well, the point is that you don't take your hair to the absolute edge of it's life. The relaxer removes the natural wave pattern {i.e., kinkiness} from the hair, which leaves the hair weak and pretty much lifeless. Texlaxing relaxes the hair slightly, enough to where it is manageable.

I did some research and found out the best way to texlax {for me} is to add oil to the relaxer so that it slows down the processing of the relaxer. I added maybe a teaspoon or two of oil to the relaxer and applied as normal. It allowed me to leave the relaxer on as long as I normally do {possibly even longer} and still not over process my hair. When I washed out the relaxer, my new growth still was wavy, but not as tight and tangled. Because of this, my hair feels stronger and looks a lot healthier than it normally would right after a relaxer.

I have to say that I am hooked on texlaxing. I'm one week post and I'm not sure at this point if I will be stretching {as stretching reduces the frequency of the chemical treatment}, but I am loving my hair. I'm sure my hair is appreciating me right about now too!



{texlaxed hair in a twist out style}

No comments:

Follow on Bloglovin