Thursday, March 04, 2010

Wash Day Hair

9:30a

I learned an important lesson on this wash day.

Now that my hair is about 75% texlaxed, I cannot do a quick wash and expect for things to go smoothly. My hair insists that I take my time and do it right. Detangling is the thing that's taking me the longest. I rushed through it and ended up breaking some hair and causing myself a lot of pain in the process.

I also learned that I need to listen to my hair. I originally wanted to do a 14 week stretch like I did the last time. Currently I am 10 weeks post and my hair is telling me it's time to texlax. 10 weeks is fine. I will listen and texlax this weekend.

Back to wash day.

I washed with V05 Clarifying shampoo and then added my mixture of Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner with Peppermint and Eucalyptus, olive oil, and a few extra dashes of peppermint oil. An amazing mix.

I heated that in the microwave and applied to my hair in sections. I left it on for about 45 minutes.

I washed and my hair felt really soft and silky, though my roots were not really agreeing with what I was trying to do. I decided that since my hair was so difficult to detangle I would try to detangle in the shower under running water. I added HEHH and Aussie Deeeeep to my new growth and let it sit for a few minutes and then detangled under the water. It was pretty successful.

The hard part came after I was done washing and detangled. With my hair pretty much detangled, I sectioned it off and added my moisturizer, leave in and sealer. I then blowdried, which was where the frustration came in. I wanted my hair to be straight in order to do the bantu knots with out flat ironing. The blow drying with the paddle brush was where I saw breakage. I will definitely have to be more careful with that from now on.

I did 6 bantu knots (opting to use olive oil soaked hair ties to secure them) and here's how my hair turned out:
side view

back view


I loved how the curls came out, but when I got home, I noticed fairy knots and split ends. Most likely from my rough handling of my hair so I decided to straighten my hair so I could do a search and destroy.


search and destroy ponytail (ended up too tired to seach and destroy so I will do that tonight)

I think I learned that my hair is the one calling the shots. And I just need to listen instead of trying to be the boss. For my health of my hair at least.

This weekend: texlax, seach and destroy, deep condition and no over manipulation.

No comments:

Follow on Bloglovin