Friday, April 09, 2010

Flat Ironing - MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE

8:21a

Yesterday I came across a post on LHCF about flat ironing and how to achieve that fresh from the salon look at home yourself.

Since becoming texlaxed, straightening my hair has been harder than ever but a technique I learned last night revolutionalized the way I will flat iron my hair from now on.

It's all about moisture. But the thing that was stressed was to NOT add any products to freshly washed hair.

Why?

Because that weighs it down and causes buildup on the hair causing a limp (and for me a hot greasy mess) less than stellar flat iron.

So how does moisture work if I'm not adding any moisturizing products BEFORE I flat iron?

The trick is in the deep conditioning step. I followed this youtube video about deep conditioning to a T. I even added the mayo. Then I watched this video on flat ironing, which didn't help me with my technique but it really provided excellent step by step instructions.

I saturated my strands with coconut oil and let that sit for about 20 minutes. I made a concoction of Aussie Moist, Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol, 100% Aloe Vera Juice, Olive Oil, mayo, honey and a squeeze Aussie Deeeeep and left that on for close to an hour.

In the shower I washed the deep conditioner out with a moisturizing shampoo (Hello Hydration Shampoo) and then added Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner and covered with a shower cap for about 15 minutes.

When I washed out the conditioner, my hair was soft and extremely silky. I dried using the t-shirt method. After my hair was semi dry I added my blow drying heat protectant and blow dried in small sections. After my hair was dry, I added my Tressemee heat protectant and let it soak in before I flat ironed.

The trick with getting a really good flat iron is to take really small sections. I only required 1 to 2 passes for each section and my hair was silky, shiny and straight.

I slept with my hair wrapped in a silk scarf and a bonnett. This morning I put an extremely small amount of shine serum on my hair. My hair is bouncy, silky, soft and so smooth. I will be using this method from now on when I flat iron.


Shot of the back. More accurate picture of length. Silky, smooth and bouncy

My hair feels fabulous!


Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

Hair and Beyond said...

Love your results, I will have to try and be less heavy handed with my products when i do flatiron and also not add as much.

Renise B said...

dang, girl! I see why the hubby loved your hair so much. It look awesome! It looks professionally done. I'm going to have to remember this next time I try and straighten this 'fro.

Follow on Bloglovin