Monday, September 21, 2009

For Fine Haired Ladies


1:41p

Last week I made the discovery that I have fine hair. Not much of a discovery since I've had this hair all my life but I never knew what to call it.

There are plently of resources for naturals and ladies with thick relaxed/texlaxed hair, but there tends not to be much out there for the community of us that have very fine strands. On this journey I have struggled and probably have done more damage trying products and techniques that work well for naturals or thick relaxed/texlaxed heads.

I knew nothing coming into this journey and absorbed absolutely everything I read about hair care. It has been essential for me to learn what works well for my hair and to stop trying everything that looks promising.

Things that I know about my hair are this:

My hair doesn't like much product.
For me, less is defintely more. A dime {what it says on the bottle!} usually is the right amount for me. Anything more weighs my hair down, leads to product build up and as a result, sometimes breakage.

Co-Washing isn't that great for me.
I was in love with co washing as soon as I learned the definition of it. I love washing my hair, I love the water, and I love my hair wet. The thing that doesn't work for my fine strands is the amount of manipulation I was doing to wash my hair every other day. Simple regimens will work better for me.

Heat is ok.
One of the things that I first learned is HEAT IS THE DEVIL. But what I'm discovering is that there are plenty of heads out there that incorporate heat into their regimen effectively. As long as there is a good heat protectant used and the moisturizing upped, there shouldn't be an issue.

I'm still learning what works and what doesn't. I haven't been doing this for long, but I do realize that my hair was healthier before I had a wealth of information {minus the past year where my hair was horrible} because I did the minimum because really, I'm totally lazy.





No comments:

Follow on Bloglovin