Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Never Ending Hair Care

10:29a

For years, I left my hair care up to the professionals. For my perms, for my trims {sometimes cuts} and for general maintenance.

It's no wonder that I was clueless. I never educated myself on hair care. On what my hair needed to thrive. I have done a number to my hair since moving to Philly. I'm a little salon shy and going to get my hair done here was very daunting to me. In NC it was easy. I had about three places to pick from. Here, the options are endless and I was scared. What if I picked a bad place. A dirty place. An exorbitantly expensive place.

Picking a salon has always been a task that I'd rather avoid. I still have yet to go get my hair done professionally here in Philly and I am now armed with a list of recommendations from people who get their hair done on the regular.

It took me over a year to find a place in NC that I liked. So hope is not lost on me. I know now, however, that frequent salon trips are not necessary. I'll go once in awhile for a trim and because I want to pamper myself. But I think I will continue to texlax at home, I'd prefer my under processed hair at home to over processed hair at the salon.
The difference between now and then is that I know the steps to take to care for my hair.

Last night, my hair was begging to be washed. And I obliged. I bought a new clarifying shampoo, that I desperately needed. Clarifying is incredible. My hair felt so clean. I had been co-washing for the past 3 weeks {since my texlax} and my hair was very moisturized but there was too much built up product. I did a bantu knot out, but my hair didnt dry, so I pulled it back into a pony and let the rest air dry {the pic above}.

I'm learning as I go. Things such as how much product to use. Less is definitely more. And that my hair craves protein. I didn't do a protein deep conditioner last night and I could feel the difference. I'm back on the protein next week.

Hair is difficult. I can't lie. The thing with the hair care journey, is that I have to find what works for my hair and stick with it. I'm more than confident that I will see progress.

2 comments:

###### said...

Wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and participating in the giveaway!

Christine said...

Hi! I just moved to Philly and saw this post while researching about texlaxing....

Do you have any of those recommendations for places still? I'm not ready to go it alone yet, but if I could find a salon that would be willing to do it and that I can trust, that would be awesome.

Follow on Bloglovin