Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Addicted to Washing

9:11a

I love washing my hair.

I used to HATE washing my hair. It was a chore and I dreaded the wash days. To be honest, I didn't wash my hair much. I was taught that you should only wash your hair 2-3 times per month. To wash it more than that was to strip it of it's natural {yeah right!} moisture and the hair would experience breakage and dryness. SO FALSE! I wish I had known.

Black women and hair is such a touchy subject. Everyone has a different opinion. For years I thought I was doing right by my hair, by not washing it often, keeping it bone straight with relaxers, piling on products day after day and wrapping it one way {to the left} every single night.

My hair revolted. But it is thanking me now.

I washed last night, after putting it off all weekend and my hair sighed happily as the protein strengthened it and then the deep conditioner added much needed moisture. I slept in bantu knots, hoping that it dry by morning. It didn't, but I just threw it back into a bun. The beauty of washing and air drying my hair is that, it's no biggie if it doesn't dry or gets wet in the rain. I love that.

So now, I have clean, moisturized hair. My next mission is to figure out how to wear my hair straight and down without using heat. The research never ends.

No comments:

Follow on Bloglovin