Tuesday, April 27, 2010

UPDATE: Eco Styler Gel

11:40a

Last night I deep conditioned, washed, conditioned again, blow dried and flat ironed my hair.

I have done this before and my hair has turned out excellent. Moisturized with movement and body.

This time, my hair is decent, but it's cruncy on one side and it would not hold the curl. I wracked my brain trying to figure out what would constitute this change in my hair.

The only different product that had been added to my hair was the Eco Styler gel. So of course I had to go look up the ingredients.

Ingredients:Water , Carbomer , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , PVP , Glycerin Triethanolamine , Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate , Polysorbate 20 , Tetrasodium EDTA , Fragrance
Of course number 3 on the list would be protein. Water fine, Carbomer is a thickening agent and HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN.

I did some research and HWP is a moisturizing and conditioning protein derived from whole wheat. It increases the hair's ability to retain moisture and impart shine and gloss to damaged and dull hair. Due to its low molecular weight, it easily penetrates the hair shaft. Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein attracts and retains moisture, builds body, reduces porosity, improves hair manageability, improves luster and smoothness.

My hair is extremely protein sensitive so even though HWP is supposed to be moisturizing, I wonder if that's what caused my damage.

I'm immediately cutting the use of the Eco Styler, doing a moisturizing deep condition with heat and I will reassess the damage to my hair. My ends look horrible and I'm afraid a trim may be in order.






2 comments:

Renise B said...

Girl, you and this protein! Your hair really hates it.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Follow on Bloglovin