Friday, April 30, 2010

Heat Damage

2:22p

I wanted to blame the Ecostyler gel for my damage, but quite honestly, I thought back and realized that it couldnt have been the gel that damaged my hair.

The culprit is the blow dryer and the flat iron. I have been doing both weekly and my hair is suffering greatly for it. I have been wanting to wear my hair straight and haven't done any airdry or protective styles for the last month.

I have used heat protectant, but at a certain point, even a heat protectant won't fully protect hair from heat. It was simple over use.

I bought ORS Hair Mayo, which is a mild protein, which should help with the weakness of my strands. I plan to use that with heat after a clarifying wash and then I will do a moisturizing deep condition overnight.

I know that there are some strands that are still going to suffer from this, but I figure the best things for me to do is to try to stop the damage now that I know what was causing it.

I'm banishing the flat iron and the blow dryer and now will only be doing twistouts, braid outs, bantu knots and anything that doesn't require heat.

I'm sad and feel a bit defeated but just like I had to tell myself when I got my hair cut: It's just hair. It will grow back.

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

Hair and Beyond said...

Glad you are cutting out the heat, I will be looking forward to your no heat for awhile results.

Renise B said...

You're right. It will grow back. Just look at how much it has grown since you got it cut. You've been doing a good job and I know you'll bounce back from this slight set back.

Stuff Parents Need said...

Hi there! I couldn't find your email address so I'm leaving a comment on your blog that you won a giveaway on my site! You won the purple and white scarf from Memphis Gypsy! http://stuffparentsneed.blogspot.com/2010/05/silky-scarves-make-splash-memphis-in.html Please send an email to stuffparentsneed (at) gmail (dot) com confirming your win within 48 hours or I'll have to pick a new winner. Congratulations!

Follow on Bloglovin