Friday, September 11, 2009

Thin Strands

11:36a

I have been blessed with thin strands. I say blessed because some people really do think their hair is a curse {my sister}. My hair does grow pretty quickly and I'm grateful for that, as I've been able to see that what I've been doing, is in fact working.

The one thing I wanted when starting my journey was healthy, thick hair, and I think I'm on my way to having just that.

There are a few things that I have discovered {and some that I have yet to try} that thicken hair up for the ladies with strands that are thinner than our thick haired counter parts.

Texlaxing. I contribute the thickness of the 3 inches that I've processed recently to texlaxing. My strands aren't as stressed as they used to be when I literally relaxed my hair within an inch of it's life. Well, it was actually my stylist that was overlapping and relaxing my hair to death, which leads me to my next point.

Eliminate Heat. I believe that banishing the flat iron has improved the condition of my hair as well. The blow drier never sees the light of day either, save for using the cool setting. Heat is really damaging and the less I use it, the more I realize how detrimental heat can be to my thin strands. This weekend, with my cut, I did get a blow out and a flat iron, and I have been debating whether or not to continue the sleek, straight look. I even bought a new, ceramic flat iron and a good heat protectant. But at this point, I'm really about health over vanity.

Eggs. Now I have tried the eggs and I absolutely loved the strength and the thickness that eggs added. For me, protein can be my downfall and after such a heavy protein treatment, I need triple the moisture. Next time I try the egg, I know how to combat the possible breakage that can come from protein overload.

Castor Oil. I use castor oil to seal my hair. I honestly can't say that my increase in growth is due to castor oil since I don't apply the oil to my scalp, only my ends. I've heard marvelous things about Jamacian Black Castor Oil and it's aid in thickening hair.

Those are the things that work for me. Over time, especailly with the texlaxing, I'm sure I'll reach my goal of having thick, healthy hair.

No comments:

Follow on Bloglovin