Monday, August 31, 2009

Texlax Update

8:19a

Right now I am 5 weeks post my last texlax and my new growth is extremely manageable. I can tell what a great texture my hair will be once I am fully texlaxed. I'm really excited for that to happen.

I used ORS Olive Oil No-Lye Relaxer to texlax, adding more oil than I did for my first time texlaxing. The results do seem to be consistent though. Next time, I won't use as much oil because I noticed that most of my new growth didn't break down at all. After I rinsed, I noticed how strong my hair was. Usually, my hair feels very thin and weak after a relaxer. I did a protein treatment before I neutralized and I think this step was critical in the reduction of breakage. Afterwards, I did a deep conditioning moisturizing treatment with heat for 20 minutes.

The only thing I would change about my process is allowing myself enough time to complete it throughly. I texlaxed my hair the day before we left for vacation and I was in a bit of a rush. I didn't make any mistakes, but I realize that if I had more time, I would have done a much better job with the protein and deep moisturizing conditioners.

I've been making sure to deep condition my new growth {as well as my ends} very well so that the line of demarcation {the line where the texlaxed hair and new growth meets the relaxed hair} is very moisturized. The last thing I want to happen in this texlax process is for me to have a set back with breakage.

So far, I estimate that the texlaxed hair is about 3 inches and my hair is currently arm pit length. I know it will take awhile before my entire head is texlaxed.

I'm still deciding whether I am going to be stretching my relaxer to ten weeks. I would like to do eight at the very minimum, but probably at eight I will listen to my hair.

Texlaxing has been very beneficial. Some of the benefits I have seen are:

  • Thicker hair
  • Non porous strands {only on the texlaxed portion}
  • I'm not afraid of rain!
  • The texlaxed hair is stronger and looks healthier.

I'm really trying not to fall off the bandwagon as I tend to be very impatient. My ultimate goal is healthy hair and for me, texlaxing is the way to achieve it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!lovely insgightful post. I texlax with ORS no lye too. I had my first(on virgin hair) abot 8 weeks ago and I'm due for my touch up. I wz so nervous d first time I ended up with clumps of really thick hair at d center of my hair where its naturally thickest. D front, and nape turned out perfect. D curls are loose and soo beauutiful!now I can't stand d mid section and I want to do a corrective texlas over it. I knw overlaping is bad but I dnt knw wot else 2 do to fix this. Since its texlaxed hair is corrective overlapping just this once such a no no? Pweeeez Help!! #freaking out lol thanks

Michelle said...

Honestly, I wouldn't do a corrective because you run the risk of over processsing your hair. It sucks having to deal with the thick texture but just make sure you correct the next time you texlax.

Follow on Bloglovin