Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Doing Hair - Kids Edition


Last week we were on the beach, enjoying the clearwater and white sand.


This week, we're battling the tangles.

Tangled left side. One big matted ponytail
It's my fault. I wanted to enjoy my vacay and not fight a toddler who didn't want to get her hair done. So for one whole week, I didn't touch her hair. Through the salt water and sand, through bedtime with no bonnet and baths where every single strand of hair got soaked. I knew I was going to have a disaster on my hands at the end of our vacation, but I figured I'd worry about it later.

Well, later was today when I had a marathon session with my baby girl. It took me about an hour and a half to dentangle her hair. I worked in small sections, drenching her hair with a mixture of conditioner and water. I used my fingers to detangle because the mattes were so bad. I'm ashamed of myself. After her hair was detangled, I saturated her hair with a deep conditioner and covered with a cap. 


I used this to deep condition with. It's my first time using this so after I use it for awhile longer, I'll post about how I like it (or don't like it).


I washed her hair with Hello Hydration Shampoo, which is my go to. The slip on that stuff is amazing. Ahh, freshly washed hair. 

It's almost impossible to get a good picture of a moving toddler
After too many breaks to count, I finished her hair. It's not my best work but both of us were happy to be done.

Gotta unpack that suitcase...
I learned a valuable lesson this past week. I can't ignore my girl's hair. With my relaxed hair, it's easy to go a few days without doing anything major to it, but natural hair is a whole other story. I'm still learning.

I wanted to relax and enjoy my vacation, but my baby girl's hair suffered for it. I put twists in my older girls hair so they could enjoy swimming and playing without getting their hair done every day. Maybe it's time to give baby girl some twists. 

How do you handle your kids hair on vacation?


4 comments:

KLP @ SavingOurStrands said...

I have two little ones; a boy and girl. The night before pool days, I rinse their water with water then apply Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Split End Protector without rinsing. After the pool, I wash their hair with Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Curl Perfecting Shampoo rinse and add more HETSSEP as a leave in. For my daughter, I always put her hair into ponytails and braid the ends. I love those cute little puffs but I hate the detangling that comes with them.

Your little lady is adorable!
www.savingourstrands.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

I haven't tried that HE line yet. Adding it to my list! Thanks for the tips. My girls will be taking swim lessons this summer and I know that chlorine is going to wreck their hair.

Fufi said...

Hi Michelle,
I have a 20 month old daughter and her hair is a mess. I am only starting to learn about healthy hair care now and doing that for my hair but i am not sure about her. Do you think its a good idea to start doing the same things to her hair as well like prepooing, deep conditioning and moisturising because i just fear that her scalp might still be too fragile for all that? What do you do for your you little ones?

Michelle said...

Fufi,

I think deep conditioning is good at any age. I deep condition all my girls hair as it gets dry just as ours does. It really pays to start a great hair routine while they are young. Just as you do with your own hair, be gentle with the hair.

Follow on Bloglovin